Sunday, January 1, 2012

Diamond in the ruff-ruff! Ruff! Grrrrrr! Barrarrrarrr!


So here is Willow, the foster dog that wasn't meant to be because I adopted Murphy, which meant (and I quote): 'This means absolutely no more fostering! None!' But poor little Willow was a very naughty girl and I couldn't resist her.

So now she is in a continuing education class called:

You are Not a Trained Assassin. You are a 12-pound Terrier Cross with Watery Eyes and an Under-Bite.

Day 1

When I picked Willow up, she launched herself at my legs and feet with great ferocity. But most telling and touching was her accuracy - not once did she make contact with skin; just shoes and pant legs, which tells me she really doesn't want to hurt anyone. She's just trying to scare things away. And after about 10 noisy minutes, shegave up and trotted out the door with me as though we were old pals.

Our first lesson was a walk with Ginny, Iggy and Murphy. She immediately dived at Ginny and Iggy, who gave her one of those 'Are you serious?' looks and trotted off. But she seemed indifferent to Murphy (perhaps because he is smaller and also likes to attack big dogs!) I dropped their leashes whenever there were no dogs around, and Willow stayed close to either me or Murphy all the time.

Day 2

Willow and Murphy had one very noisy battle over who was the Most Precious of Pets, but it was all noise. They have now learned to share a human lap with each other and both cats without incident, which is good for Murphy too!

And Willow is wonderful with cats - very respectful. They wander all around her and lean into her with no response except a bit of turning away. She is also very happy and friendly with girls and children, and I don't have any fear of her biting a child.

Day 3

Willow has met 11 new people so far, and still grrrs slightly when strange males (large) approach her. But even when she was at her most ferocious I could put my hand over her mouth and she wouldn't bite me. She seems to watch the other dogs and follow their lead (and they mostly just nap).

Last night, I let Willow burrow under the bed covers and sleep snuggled up beside me. You're not supposed to do this and I don't recommend it. But I have to test my theory that den-sharing helps fearful dogs bond with and develop confidence in their pack leaders.

Yeah ... that's it.

Given how far Willow has come in a short time, I think she will soon be ready for adoption. She will need a confident and loving pack leader so that she can just relax and be the happy little doggie she's meant to be. I wouldn't rule out other dogs either - she's quickly learning that it's fun to be part of a pack if you don't try to eat them. And anyway, there are a LOT of dogs in the world! Way too many for one little terrier to look after.

No comments:

Post a Comment