Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ivy Update

Ivy is just fine, and getting better every day. She now comes when called, and runs away only from sudden movements. She can claw her way onto the couch now, and does, only to be overtaken by sudden confusion: what am I doing here, and why are the humans so close? But a little scratch on the tummy will win you a snuggle. She's a happy, animated little girl who loves her walks, sleeps through the night and sometimes pees on the floor.

Okay, so that last one isn't in her favor. But she's learning.

I, on the other hand, am decidedly not getting better every day.

Case In Point: I read the most interesting article today while waiting to pick up my daughter from an appointment. In fact, while reading it, I actually thought to myself, What an interesting article this is! I'll have to tell Don about it. I even went so far as to think, Waiting is not so bad. Were it not for waiting, I would never have read this article.

Tonight, while leafing through another magazine, I remembered this event. I said to Don (as planned) "I read the most interesting article today."

And then I realized I have not a clue what the article was about. Not only that, but a few moments of pondering failed to bring it to mind.

Which raises questions, in addition to the obvious Do I have Alzheimers? one.

Why read articles at all?

Why do I have so many books when one will obviously do?

On the good side of things, I recall that I didn't get to finish the article because the waiting period ended suddenly and my mind was taken up with other things. Secondly, a number of unrelated, stressful events popped up between the reading and the failed telling, which could account for the missing data. At least I remembered that I read an article and that it was interesting.

I have also heard that old people become cantankerous. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone, and have conversations like this:

I had an interesting day.
What did you do?
None of your business.




1 comment:

  1. A similar story. I ordered new cheques, which I hardly ever use because I prefer to pay bills on-line. But now something owed requires payment by cheque, however the cheques have vanished. I know they arrived. I remember opening the box and looking at them. I have looked in all the usual and even unusual places. I brought up the issue of the lost cheques to Pete who asked the typical questions, such as, "Where did you put them?" (that one was helpful). Finally, I used a quote from Maggie's blog and said; "It's none of your business!" That was helpful and I'm glad I remembered it.

    ReplyDelete