Friday, August 13, 2010


Sai is teaching me a lot.

At first, I thought he didn't listen very well. For example, when he was outside and started barking at something, I would call him to come in. He wouldn't even look at me. So I would call him again in a sharper tone, and he would either continue what he was doing or run away. During one such event, I called him once and then just stood there, thinking, 'what the hell am I going to do with this little shithead?' and I realized he was also just standing there at the far side of the yard, looking at me intently. And then he suddenly ran to me like a puppy.

It turns out that whenever I ask Sai to do something, he has to think about it. It's as though he's deciding whether or not he's in trouble. If he is, he turns away and goes to SaiLand, where no one can catch him because he's as fast as a speeding bullet. And besides, he can always use his teeth if he has to. But if he's not in trouble, he comes running.

I think this is what Sai needs to be a good dog - slow, patient and gentle. It might take him a while, but he does listen and he doesn't think about biting. He still barks when he hears something frightening (like the sound of a slipper touching the floor or a fly buzzing). But I think he'll improve when he begins to realize that only good things happen to little dogs named Sai.

I don't think he'll bite anymore either, as long as this method is used with him. As the days go by, he's becoming so much like a typical little shitzu that it's hard to think of him as anything else. He is just such a happy little guy. I chose the picture of him running in the field because that's what his personality is like.

Getting him to let me put the leash on when we're out walking is a work in progress. Yesterday, I put the leash on him and walked a little way, and then gave him a treat only when I took the leash off. That worked three times, and then he figured it out and went back to playing Catch-me-if-you-can. I refused to join in. As soon as he darted away, I walked on and ignored him. He was very disappointed, and on Try #5, he let me put the leash on. And today, he accepted the leash twice with no treats. So we're getting there!

Sai will be a great pet for someone. I secretly don't care if no one adopts him, as always. And (also as always) Don secretly wishes someone would adopt everyone who has fur.

3 comments:

  1. As usual - I love the 'don commentary'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so happy to meet Sai today...he is a charming little guy and he will be a great pet for someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best foster mommy ever Maggie :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete