Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To adopt Sai ...

... visit Pawsitive Match - over to the right, under 'related sites', you'll find a link.

And speaking of adopting Sai, he is learning so quickly to be a good boy. He's already crate-trained, leash-trained and house-trained. We're working on two issues - barking and biting. But don't let that scare you off. With just a little more time he'll be his true sweet self.

Barking: He's used to guarding his den by making a lot of noise when someone new comes in. We're teaching him that if he barks he has to stay right where he is, but as soon as he's quiet he gest to go and say hello.

Biting. This is an interesting one. I felt his little teeth the first time I told him to do something he didn't want to do. But it wasn't an 'I want to hurt you!' bite. It was an 'I don't want you to hurt me!' bite. He only tried it once so I had to find something that would really set him off. It turned out to be his toe-nails. He bared his teeth each time I touched them. So I got out the clippers, Sai got out his teeth and we went to war. By the time it was over, all his toe-nails were cut. I only had one owie and Sai had a little piece of wiener in his tummy for each toe-nail he let me cut without pulling away or biting.

My goal is to get him to a point where he won't bite no matter what, and I think it won't take very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment